Thursday, January 11, 2007

Breakfast for dinner, anyone? (edited w/recipe)

So last night on my way home, my wife calls me....."what do you want for dinner?"
We're trying not to eat out/take out so much...so I ask, "Do we have any eggs?"
To which my wonderful wife says, "mmmmmmmmm, bacon and eggs!"
We agreed, hang up and then I get another call, "So I'm standing here wondering if I should get this whole wheat pancake mix."
I say, "we can make it at home, I'm sure I have a recipe at home."
So, we agree on that and once I get way into the process (I'll post the recipe tonight), I find out I am missing Baking Soda.......CRAP! They came out way too dense, but if you put enough butter/syrup on them....they're fine.....if you put enough butter/syrup on them, they're fine....(keep saying that...maybe you'll believe it)

Well, at least the bacon and eggs were good.

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup wheat germ (yes, wheat germ....don't worry, it'll be ok)
1 1/2t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
1/4t salt
3T butter
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 cup of milk

Mix all dry ingredients first. (whisk, fork, whatever you like to mix with)
in a separate bowl, mix liquids
mix them all together
Pour 1/3 cup at a time on a medium heat skillet (here's the tip I was never aware of) do not let your skillet smoke (not that kind of smoke.....get too hot). The key is a medium heat skillet as to not burn your pancakes.

Serve with syrup or jelly or both! Of course, bacon and eggs go very well. Enjoy!

P.S. We should be hearing from a new contributor soon.....Mr. PlatypiMuse himself, Brian Norwood. He has a table here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good. I hope this grows into a phenomenon of tables.