Thursday, January 04, 2007

The unholiest of unholies in the food world: the Casserole


My wife made this amazingly easy and delicious casserole. Yes, I said it..."casserole". It's called an enchilada casserole, and using "enchilada" in its title is a stretch at best.
Wanna know how to make it? Well here you go!
1lb ground beef
1 can of Hungry Jack (or your favorite instant biscuit)
1/2 an onion
1 sm can of enchilada sauce
1 1/2-2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (your pick of type...usually cheddar and jack)
Now, take the onion cook it until tender, add beef (or turkey) and brown it. Then pour in your enchilada sauce to cover the beef and let that simmer. Turn oven on to 350 degrees (F)
While your meat stews (ha!), open your canned biscuits (wear protective eye covering due to the explosive nature of opening these things...again, "HA!"..I know I'm not funny to anyone but me) and tear into chunks to line a 9"x13" pan , pour saucy meat over biscuits and put in oven for 20 minutes; add cheese. Let this cook for another 10 minutes or so (until cheese is melted and browning) remove from oven and enjoy!
Like I said, this was one of the biggest surprises my wife has brought to the kitchen and it was wonderful. You can dress it up by adding diced green chili's or use some Tapatio hot sauce once it comes out of the oven.
My wife is one of those I can try anything and usually get it right, the first time, type of people. It's one of the many reasons to love her.
Try it and love it, teach your friends that a casserole can be made and still taste great!

2 comments:

Allen Arnn said...

Hey... we'll have to try that casserole. Have you ever made risotto... I thought of you when I was briefly blogging about it here

Moe said...

Hola from Oregon! You gotta email me some good recipes. I've commited to becoming a better cook this year help a sister out! Miss ya .

Love,
Mel